It’s NFL Week 8 and time for Colin’s Blazin’ 5 NFL picks. He was on the wrong side of last week’s games (2-3), but he’s still 21-14 on the year (60%) and absolutely loves this week’s slate. Minor setbacks mean major comebacks.
Here are Colin’s Week 8 NFL plays:
- Falcons (-4) at Jets – Colin is rolling with Atlanta as 4-point road favorites in a bounce back game against the surprisingly competent Jets in MetLife. The Falcons offense, which ranks 2nd in yards per play (6.17) will face a Jets D ranked 21st in yards per play allowed (5.41). The Jets are the only team other than the Browns that has a giveaway in all 7 games.
Take Atlanta, lay the points. 28-20, Falcons.
- Panthers (+2) at Bucs – Colin is taking Carolina getting 2 on the road in Tampa, despite some recent poor performances. The Panthers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 on the road, and 6-2 ATS in their last 8 against the Bucs. Cam Newton should have all day to throw against a Tamopa D that has the fewest sacks in the NFL (7), and is allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete 69.5% of their passes for 8.54 Yards Per Pass with 10 TD’s, just 2 Interceptions and a Passer Rating of 109.7 in their last 5. Tampa has also lost 3 straight and has 5 giveaways in their last 2 games.
Take Carolina, the points, and the outright win. 33-26, Panthers.
- Texans (+5.5) at Seahawks – Colin likes the Texans getting 5.5 on the road in Seattle. Houston is 3rd in the NFL in rushing yards per game (137.7), and Deshaun Watson has a Passer Rating of 118.3 with 12 TD and 2 interceptions since wideout Will Fuller returned to the lineup in Week 4. They’ve also scored touchdowns on 7 of their last 8 red zone drives.
Russell Wilson has been better on the road the road than at home. He only has 3 touchdowns against 2 interceptions at Qwest Field, compared to 8 touchdowns and only 1 pick away from home.
Take Houston, the points, and the upset. 26-23, Texans.
- Chargers (+7.5) at Patriots – Colin loves the Chargers getting 7.5 against the Pats in Foxboro, and it has a lot to do with their ability to get to Tom Brady. L.A. is 1 of 2 teams with 3 players with 5+ Sacks (Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, and Chris McCain), meanwhile Brady has been sacked multiple times in 9 of his last 10 games. Also, L.A.’s last 17 road games have been decided by an average of 5.2 ppg.
Phillip Rivers should have all day to throw because New England is allowing opposing quarterbacks to throw 10 touchdowns, only 3 INT’s, and post an average passer rating of 118.0 at home. Patriots win, but the Chargers cover. 26-23, New England.
- Cowboys (-2.5) at Redskins – Colin loves the Cowboys laying 2.5 going on the road to D.C. Dallas is 12-5 in their last 17 overall against the Redskins, including winning their last 4 games in the nation’s capital. Kirk Cousins is 0-3 at home against Dallas, and just 3-6 in his career, at home against NFC East opponents.
The Cowboy offense ranks 2nd in rushing (147.5 ypg), 5th in 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (45.3%), and is averaging a league high 449.7 Total Yards Per Game since Week 4. Take Dallas and lay the points. 28-23, Cowboys.
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) October 27, 2017