After a solid 2017 season, Colin is ready to make it rain again in 2018. This week he’s looking to get off to a hot start with some Week 1 NFL winners. There are a lot of newbies in the sports media gambling game this season, but Uncle Colin is the O.G. you can trust. Discontinue reading this immediately if you don’t want free money.
Here are Colin’s Week 1 picks:
- Houston (+6.5) at New England – Colin loves Houston and Deshaun Watson as a 6.5 point dog heading into New England. The Texans averaged 34.7 PPG in Watson’s 6 starts last season before his season-ending knee injury and he averaged the most points per game of any starting QB in NFL in those 6. The Patriots have been a fixture in the title conversation forever, but Belichick’s 66.1% September winning percentage is his lowest of any month. Take a motivated Houston, the points, and the outright win. 27-23 Texans.
2. Jacksonville at New York Giants (+3) – Colin likes the Giants getting 3 as a home dog with a reloaded roster against an overvalued Jags squad that was only 4-4 on the road last season. Eli Manning is unquestionably on the downside of his career, but Odell Beckham is healthy, happy, and paid. Since 2014, Eli averages significantly more yards (271.9 with, 222.4 without) , yards per attempt (7.0 with, 6.2 without) and a higher passer rating (91.2 with, 78.7 without), and TD/INT ratio (89 TD/40 INT with, 21/17 without) with OBJ in the lineup. Add key offseason additions of left tackle Nate Solder, guard Will Hernandez, and home run hitter Saquon Barkley and Colin likes the Giants, the points and outright win, 24-23.
3. Buffalo at Baltimore (-7) – Colin is rolling with Baltimore as a touchdown favorite at home against the Bills and interception machine Nate Peterman at QB. Buffalo has had the worst passing offense in the NFL over the last two seasons (183.2 yds/game), and Peterman is a downgrade from Tyrod Taylor. He’ll face a Baltimore D that ranked 6th in PPG (18.9), and Takeaways (34), and an offensive that has added some legitimate wide receivers in Michael Crabtree, Willie Snead, and John Brown that should help a motivated Joe Flacco. Take the Ravens, lay the 7. Baltimore comfortably, 31-13.
4. San Francisco at Minnesota (-6) – There’s a ton of buzz around Jimmy G and the Niners, but Colin likes the Vikings laying 6 at home. Last year, San Francisco’s position groups ranked in the bottom half of the league in Pro Football Focus’ rankings for Offensive Line (16th), Pass Rush (19th), Running Backs (22nd), Receiving Corp (24th), and Run D (28th). Minnesota was 7-1 at home last season, winning by an average margin of victory of 15 PPG. Last season, their D was the first to lead the NFL in PPG (15.8) and Yds/Gm (275.9) since Seattle’s Legion of Boom in 2014. Take the Vikings, lay the 6. 30-20, Minny.
5. New York Jets (+6.5) at Detroit (MNF) – Colin likes the Jets getting 6.5 in Sam Darnold’s first NFL start against the Lions. Detroit hasn’t had a 100-yard rusher in a game since Reggie Bush in 2013, and ranked near thee bottom of the league in PPg (21st), Pass Yards Allowed (27th), and Sacks (20th). Darnold steps in and wins his first pro start, on the road. The legend begins. Jets, 24-21.
Check out Colin and RJ Bell breaking down the picks in the Blazin’ 5 podcast: