For Dana White, planning UFC 200 has been more chaotic than putting together the Sochi Olympics. White’s extended Conor McGregor migraine headache has now been compounded by Jon Jones’ failed drug test, less than 72 hours before the start of 200. The much anticipated Jones/Daniel Cormier rematch has been pulled from the top of the fight card becuase of the test and replaced with Brock Lesnar/Mark Hunt.
Earlier this morning, Jones addressed the media in an emotional press conference. He was clearly devastated by the suspension, and denied using any performance enhancing drugs.
UFC Commissioner Dana White joined the Herd to give his exclusive reaction to the Jones test and how he plans to move forward with UFC 200 without him. White said he was shocked when he heard the news, but not shocked given Jones’ history.
“You’re dealing with human beings. And human beings always make mistakes. you’ll have some people that are always perfect, and never have a blip, ever. Everything goes perfect for them. And then you have guys who don’t. Jon Jones is one of those guys.”
White confirmed that Brock Lesnar v. Mark Hunt will replace Jones/Cormier as the 200 main event, and exclusively announced, “Daniel Cormier will fight this weekend.” He said Cormier’s opponent is yet to be determined, but should be announced shortly.
The UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Cormier, also joined the show, and said he’s disappointed the Jones fight is cancelled, but takes no personal pleasure in Jones’ struggles.
“I don’t need vindication in Jon Jones’ failures. It doesn’t make me feel good. I’ve actually gotten that question from people. It does not make me feel good. I’ve always said, at the end of the day, I don’t wan to see that guy suffer. It’s unfortunate, because he’s one of the most talented people I’ve ever seen. But, It’s unfortunate, because he can’t get out of his own way.”
UFC 200 is Saturday. Tune in to see Daniel Cormier fight, somebody.