College football’s third weekend saw plenty of big match ups, standout individual performances, and two undefeated teams get undressed. Tough Monday if you’re a Hawkeyes or a ‘Noles fan. That first-loss hangover is brutal. Oklahoma and Baker Mayfield’s mandana got punked at home by the Buckeyes in the weekend’s biggest match-up. Ohio State is somehow stacked with speed and playmakers everywhere after losing a dozen starters to the NFL Draft.
In the end, college football is players making plays. Here are 5 of the best from the weekend.
- Noah Brown. Catch of the Year – Catch of the Year. Buckeyes wideout Noah Brown was lost for the entire 2015 season after a gruesome preseason leg injury sidelined him for the year. Prior to his injury, the buzz around Buckeyes camp was that Brown was dominating a defense that would later flood the NFL Draft. Last night, during Ohio State’s 45 -24 smashing of Oklahoma, Brown introduced himself to the nation with 4 scores, including his absurd, one-handed, cornerback MMA bear hugging catch. The ball doesn’t move. This is why Vine was invented.
Are you kidding?!
— FOX College Football (@CFBONFOX) September 18, 2016
2. Lamar Jackson will haunt Florida State’s dreams – Jackson and Louisville gave previously undefeated Florida State a 63 -20 CM Punk style beating on Saturday. He had 146 yards on the ground to go with 5 scores (4 rush, 1 pass). The complete dismantling was a surprise because the Seminoles looked impressive in the first 2 weeks. Heisman winners have signature moments, and Saturday was exactly that for Jackson. He and Christian McCaffrey are separating from the pack early.
INCREDIBLE showing from Lamar Jackson for @UofLFootball ?
EVERYTHING you need to see here: pic.twitter.com/Xa0u2shf9F
— ACC Digital Network (@theACCDN) September 17, 2016
3. Jacob Eason kills the Tigers on 4th Down – Everything was on the line for the Bulldogs. Fourth down, on the road, in Mizzou. Down 27 – 21. Classic college football pressure cooker. Georgia freshman quarterback Jacob Eason is BMOC today in Athens, after hitting Isaiah McKenzie with the go ahead score. Kirby Smart and the Dawgs escape thanks to the frosh.
Eason to McKenzie Play that tied game before Dawgs took lead with extra point pic.twitter.com/lMOQWDVDNO
— Adam Gillespie (@AG680) September 18, 2016
4. Christian McCaffrey can’t be stopped – Another week and more highlights from Christian McCaffrey. He took advantage of the complete mess that is USC on a 56 yard touchdown strike on his way to 146 yards on the ground and 73 through the air. McCaffrey looks to have the inside track on the Heisman. It’s hard to argue otherwise.
— Pac-12 Network (@Pac12Network) September 18, 2016
This slo-mo highlight from warm ups is even better.
Ultra Slow-mo of McCaffrey’s warmup pic.twitter.com/5sHYI8rFQp
— David Lombardi (@LombardiESPN) September 17, 2016
5. Leonard Fournette spikes a human being – Fournette bulldozed through Mississippi State for 147 yards and 2 scores, but the takeaway highlight from the day was his ego-crushing, stiff arm slam of a Bulldog defender. Mom always said don’t step into oncoming traffic. This is the result.
— ESPN CollegeFootball (@ESPNCFB) September 18, 2016