It’s time for the Blazin’ 5 for NFL Week 8 on a Thursday. Colin is coming off his second 4-1 week in the last 3, taking him to 21-14 on the year (66.7%). This week’s rocket launch has been moved up a day. This is ground control to Uncle Colin, commencing engines on.
Don’t listen to your buddy Joey “The Pinky Ring”. Colin’s ready to continue feeding the families of America.
Here are his Blazin’ 5 plays for NFL Week 8.
1. Packers at Falcons (-2.5) – Colin hates giving points, but Atlanta giving 2.5 at home to the Packers is a gift. The Falcons are 5-2 against the spread this season, and averaging almost 33 points per game. The Packers have only broken the 30-point barrier once this season. Green Bay is 1 of 3 teams that has allowed multiple touchdown drives in the final 2 minutes of either half, and have allowed 5 passing touchdowns of 20-plus yards, tied for 2nd most in the NFL. Take the Falcons, give the points. 28-20, Atlanta.
2. Seahawks at Saints (+3) – Sounds crazy, but Colin’s on a heater. This week, the Crescent City is the site of the Blazin’ 5 upset of the week. The Saints are 4-2 against the spread this season, and their last 3 games have been decided by just over 3 points per game. The New Orleans defense has also been quietly improving. After allowing 448.3 yards per game in their first 3 games, the Saints have only given up 359.3 over their last 3 – almost a 100 yard improvement. Russell Wilson is massively struggling, and Colin thinks he’s more banged up than Pete Carroll is letting on. He hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass since the 4th quarter of Week 4. Take the Saints in the Superdome, the 3, and the outright upset. 28-23, New Orleans.
3. Chiefs at Colts (+2.5) – Colin loves the Colts getting points at home in the dome. Indy’s 2-1 against the spread at home this season, and 3-3-1 overall. Andrew Luck has only thrown 1 interception over his last 3 games, where the Colts are 2-1. Their only loss in that stretch came when their sorry defense surrendered a 14-point 4th quarter lead. Luck has become a 4th quarter force. Last week, he led a comeback with wide receivers he found in his pocket lint. His 4th quarter passer rating of 111.7 is 3rd best among NFL starters this season. His 8 4th quarter passing touchdowns leads the NFL. The Colts are great late and beat the Chiefs, 27-23.
4. Cardinals (+2.5) at Panthers – Colin is all over Arizona getting points at struggling Carolina. The Cardinals are 3-4 against the spread this season, and 1-1 on the road. They haven’t allowed an offensive touchdown in 111 opponent plays – the longest streak in the AFC. Cam Newton’s passer rating of 81.2 this season is on pace for the worst of his career. This week he’ll face a Cardinals defense that blitzes on 28.3% of defensive plays, which is the highest rate in the NFL. Take the desperate Cardinals, heading East, and the points. 24-20, Arizona.
5. Eagles at Cowboys (-4.5) – Sunday night. Cowboys and Eagles. Wentz and Prescott. Colin has doubted the Cowboys all year, this week he’s finally a believer, even giving 4.5. The numbers don’t lie. The Cowboys are 5-0-1 against the spread this season, and 2-0-1 in Jerry’s World. Dak Prescott’s 103.9 passer rating is the 5th best by a player through 6 career games in the Super Bowl era, and the Cowboys are stepping on teams early. Their +27 1st quarter point differential is the best in the NFC. Combine that trend with an Eagles team that has been outscored 21-0 in the 1st quarter over their last 3 games, and it’s a recipe for an Eagle disaster. Dallas, their running game, and their punishing offensive line cover the points at home. Cowboys, 31-23, going away.
That’s Colin’s NFL Week 8 Blazin’ 5 a day early on a Thursday. Stop by for your free winning powerball ticket next week.
Also, make sure you download, listen and subscribe to Colin’s Blazin’ 5 Prediction Podcast with RJ Bell every Saturday morning through the end of the football season. He’ll sit down with RJ and see how this week’s Blazin’ 5 stacks up against the Vegas sharps.
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) October 27, 2016