Every Friday, it’s time for Colin’s Blazin’ 5. Colin is fresh off a winning week and he’s feeling the juice. He got off the mat and went 3 – 2 in Week 2, and got back to .500 (5 – 5) for the year. “Desperation” is the word in Week 3. Colin loves a desperate football team like a nice sweater and a warm cup of soup. This week, they are a plenty.
Don’t listen to your buddy Eddy “The Gall Bladder”. Colin’s got you covered. The only thing you need to supply is the money clip.
Here are Colin’s plays for NFL Week 3. It’s the Blazin’ 5.
1. 49’ers (+9.5) vs. Seahawks – Saying the Seahawks have struggled on offense is like saying Brad and Angelina are going through a bit of a rough patch. Their 7.5 points per game ranks 31st in the NFL. Russell Wilson has been banged up, and his health is still in-question heading into this week. The idea that Seattle is a dominant team is a myth. The vaunted Legion of Boom doesn’t have a takeaway yet this year. They’re only 5 – 3 in their last 8 home games, with only two of those wins by 10 or more points. The 49’ers have been better than anyone anticipated so far this year. Their 34 points off turnovers this season is the most in NFL. Seattle wins 20 -14, Niners sneak in with the cover.
2. Rams vs. Bucs (-4.5) – Colin hates giving points, but this matchup sets up for a massacre. The Rams have lost 6 of their last 7 road games, and travel East to Tampa to face an angry franchise quarterback, Jameis Winston, coming off an embarrassing loss to Arizona. This one could get out of hand, especially with the Rams on the road. L.A. (St. Louis) has started 1-1 every season since 2012, including losses in Week 3 each season. They rank last in the NFL with 4.5 points per game, and haven’t scored a TD yet this season. Take the Bucs and lay the points. 27 -13, Tampa.
3. Chargers vs. Colts (-2.5) – Andrew Luck has never started 0 – 3 in his career. The Colts started 0 – 2 in 2014 and 2015, but won in Week 3 game both times. They’re desperate for a Week 3 win this year, too. The Chargers have been terrible on the road, 1 – 9 in their last 10 road games. They’ve lost their two best offensive weapons, Keenan Allen and Danny Woodhead, to torn ACL’s. Take Indy’s offense and swallow the 2.5. Colts, 27 – 20.
4. Raiders (+1.5) vs. Titans – It’s been peaks and valleys for Oakland so far this season. The young Raiders have won 3 of their last 4 road games, including a W at Tennessee last season. The Titans are a sickness inducing 3 – 20 in their last 23 home games, with two of those wins coming against doormat Jacksonville. Oakland is averaging a league leading 470 yards per game. Colin likes the Raiders offense more than the Tennessee defense, even on the road. Give him the higher caliber stars, better offense, and the better coach. Take the Raiders and the point and a half. 27 -23, Silver and Black.
5. Redskins (+4.5) vs. Giants – Another desperate team. The Redskins have had a terrible start to the season, but they’ve won 4 of their last 6 division games, with both losses in that stretch coming by 4 points or less. On the flipside, New York has been a gracious host recently, dropping 4 of their last 5 at home. Captain Kirk Cousins rallies the troops in Colin’s upset of the week. Washington covers and wins it outright, 24 -23.
That’s a scorching hot Blazin’ 5 for Week 3.
Also, make sure you download, listen and subscribe to Colin’s Prediction Podcast with RJ Bell every Saturday morning through the end of the football season. He’ll sit down with RJ and see how this week’s Blazin’ 5 stacks up against the Vegas sharps.
🚨Fresh off a winning week, Week 3 Blazin’ 5 is ripe with upsets & underdogs🚨 pic.twitter.com/XBYchP1F0y
— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) September 23, 2016