*When many said wrestling wasn’t a sport, and shamefully called its impassioned fans “booger eaters,” Colin Cowherd was the lone voice fighting for professional wrestling legitimacy in the national sports media.
Last night, Wrestlemania 33, at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida, was yet another triumph for Colin and every true wrestling fan over the haters.
33 will go down as the greatest collection of athletic talent ever assembled at a single sporting event. As Colin has often said, most WWE superstars in 2017 could easily transition to any of the major professional sports and perform at an all-star level.
Asking him to choose his five favorite highlights from 33 was like asking him to pick a favorite child, but after much consideration, here are his Top-5:
- Gronk dominates – After years spent dominating NFL “defenses”, Rob Gronkowski finally proved he can compete against the best athletes in the world. He heroically entered the ring during the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal to save his friend Mojo Crowley by clotheslining Killian Dain.
Gronk sat out the second half of the NFL season with a back injury so he could fight at Wrestlemania. You can’t question his priorities.
— Binge Sports (@BingeSports) April 2, 2017
2. #ThankYouTaker – WWE legend The Undertaker fought what was likely his last professional wrestling match last night. After 45 years in the ring, it was time. It’s always sad to see the greats walk off into the sunset, but at 76, the Undertaker has his entire life ahead of him.
There wasn’t a dry eye in the house, including the Cowherd residence. Once Colin saw the #ThankYouTaker hashtag trend on Twitter he had to reach for the tissues.
— Abdul Basit (@basit0O7) April 3, 2017
3. John Cena proposed – John Cena proposed to his longtime girlfriend Niki Bella last night in an emotionally gripping scene. Colin hadn’t been this moved since Tom Brady proposed to Gisele at midfield during halftime of Super Bowl 46 against the Giants. Congratulations to the happy couple.
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) April 3, 2017
4. Lesnar vs. Goldberg – The Universal Title Match was a clash between two athletes at their physical peak. A 50-year old Goldberg proved he can still compete at the highest level of the sport, but was unable to overcome suspended UFC champion Brock Lesnar. Colin loves watching athletic greatness, and this match was 89 combined years of it. The winner? The viewing audience.
5. The best fans in the world – Colin has said it on countless occasions. Wrestling fans are the greatest and most sophisticated fans in the world.
Last night, two hardcore fans proved him right, yet again. A corporate lawyer dressed up like Stone Cold Steve Austin, and a brain surgeon dressed like the Ultimate Warrior got into an epic fan match in the stands that was only stopped because their friend dressed up like a ref.
Wrestlemania is like a Chargers game, but fun for kids.
— Riz (@johncenaAm) April 2, 2017
*Clearly this is satire. Colin hates wrestling because it’s not a real sport.